Thursday, August 29, 2013

training 8-29-13

Folsom Canal, 22.5 miles. QuestXS (open hood, foothole covers). I added the foothole covers because I wanted to get a more direct comparison to my earlier-season fitness. On the northbound pass I was up to an average of 34mph when my chain derailed about 2/3 to 3/4 the way through. Based on past experience and where I was I would have averaged at least 34.5mph for the full run. On the way back I derailed again (my cheap Actionbent bar-end shifter is falling apart) early in the pass so my data was skewed beyond use. Anyway, I'm certain my fitness is at an all-time high -- my speed is up even though I'm not putting the effort in that I was earlier in the year. The good thing is that I don't feel very strong. I feel more like a crippled old man than a racing cyclist. That's a good thing because I know I'm not on a hormonal upswing so that means I shouldn't be encountering a downswing in the too near future. I notice the foothole covers don't help anywhere near as much as when I'm riding hoodless. With the hood on there's not a whole lot of draw through the footholes. When I lift the hood an inch in the back and provide exhaust the footholes are like turbo chargers.

No comments: